Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Hello Folks, sorry for the delayed introduction

Hello Students,
I am Dr. Kelly Smith, and I will be one of the leaders for the UNF segment of the course.  I am an estuarine ecologist with interests in fish habitat use and coastal restoration.  I am currently working with a team to assess an experimental restoration involving living shorelines.  We are attempting to create habitats that will encourage salt marsh vegetation growth, and thus provide habitat for resident salt marsh fish.  Part of your week with UNF will be spent in the general region where I am conducting my research.  The picture below shows me after a particularly muddy day on the restoration site.
As for my background, I received my undergraduate degree from SUNY Oswego, and my PhD from Rutgers University.  After two postdocs I moved to the University of North Florida in 1999, and have been teaching biology and marine science related courses ever since.
I look forward to meeting all of you!
Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment