Sunday, June 22, 2014

Certainly not good-bye (Dana Nieuwkerk)

Our first week together, during a cookout at UWF.
The other day, Dr. Judkins mentioned that at this point, we have seen and used about 85% of field equipment out there. That is incredible to think about. Beyond seeing ecosystems from across the state and learning about the oceanography and topography that allow FL to be so diverse, we were introduced to several methods of study that we will all be using at some point in our futures. Having been introduced to the field studies of dynamic beaches, mangrove forests, oyster reefs, coral reefs, and the deep sea has allowed us to test the waters of many fields of marine science and make a decision out of experience as to which direction we may choose to go from here; or, at the very least, which fields we do not want to go into. This course has reaffirmed my decision to make marine sciences my future. I now know that I love long days gathering data and long nights making sense of it. 

This experience has opened several doors and caused me to think of possible research projects for the future – and not in the daydreaming sense that I typically think of my future, but in a practical sense: which methods will I use, what equipment will be necessary, how many replicates will need to be done, what region will I work in, what are adverse effects of working in this region, and most importantly: how will I fund this project?!


Beyond the classroom setting, the most enriching part of this trip has been the people we have met. Every professor took time to introduce us to their areas of expertise, labs with current research, and most campuses. I also met students from across the state who share a common passion for the environment; and in being forced to be together for six straight weeks, we have grown into an inseparable family. Today will be our last day together and I am going to be incredibly sad to see it go by. Not waking up to a day of field work in the FL sun and swamps nor being able to go into the next room to hang out with eleven other kids that I have been sharing first-time experiences with is going to be very difficult. To be continued, FIO family, thanks for one heck of a summer!
Our last week together, during our last field day on the R/V Weatherbird II.


No comments:

Post a Comment