Sunday, June 22, 2014

The beginning of the end

After all the hard work its finally safe to say that this 5.5 week field opportunity is at its end, but will it ever end...
This course brought the most diverse group of people from all over the state who all had one common interest, THE OCEAN! We spent five weeks 24/7 together surrounded by nothing but water, sunshine, science and many many laughs. You can see how we became very close and learned valuable information and gained experience that will last us a lifetime, as well as the friendships! I have definitely changed and grown this trip in the world of science. By getting the chance to explore almost every coastal ecosystem in Florida and being able to conduct multiple experiments and learn about the current research being conducted in each university by the most intelligent professors, we all paved our view of the future. This course made a large impact on my future path of science and what I want to focus mainly on and what I would rather not work with. It also showed me the vast amount of opportunities this field holds such as research in Indonesia, Australia, the Caribbean and basically all the most beautiful places in the world! My goal is to end up in Hawaii and do research on the corals in the vast amount of MPA's they hold there, maybe even attend grad school at UH.  I have been trying to decide on which school to attend grad school once I graduate next semester, and by meeting a handful of professors from each University on the coast and being able to get an overview on what they do and their life journey to get there was a huge eye opening experience for me. From watershed forests and barrier islands in Pensacola, the diversity of beach habitats, inlets and river systems in Jacksonville, exploring the marvelous coral reefs and mangrove habitats in the keys, the estuaries in Bonita beach and finally the open ocean in St. Petersburg I feel I am ready to tackle the big bad world of science and research awaiting me. Thanks so much FIO for giving all of us bright upcoming scientists a chance to get our foot in the door of the world of research. You'l be happy you did because our new generation is going to change to world and save our oceans! Who knows maybe one of us will win a Nobel Piece prize for saving the diminishing coral reefs, or discovering new species in the deep sea that holds the cure to cancer. I can't express the gratitude I have for everyone involved in the course and especially my fellow students, thanks so much for making this experience the best it could be and good luck to all of you out in your future endeavors wherever you may end up. Its safe to say I have never laughed so much in one five week period, you guys are the best I couldn't have asked for a better FIO family farewell till next time my loves!









Blog 2.0 After hours 
Here's  a little sneak peek of all the fun we had after class and on the weekends :)

Lots of sunsets and yoga









Boat life










Getting frisky with the Wahoos



Scuba in the keys!











Canoeing after class


Enjoying the pool at the FGCU lab on the weekend









Chasing dolphins on the seawall


Partying with the king of the jungle at the surfshop

Learning to ride the segway


The cuddles


and the casualties











No comments:

Post a Comment