Sunday, June 22, 2014

All good things must come to an end.

Now that the trip is winding down, I can finally sit and reflect on this amazing journey. In Dr. Judkin's class on Monday, we took pre-tests with no notice or black and white study guide. We take the post test tomorrow to see how much we learned in a weeks time here at USFSP. There was no pre-test for this entire course and one of the things I find myself reflecting on the most is the amount of new knowledge I'm walking away with. There is no quantifiable way to measure this gain of knowledge but I can tell you it's a lot! Marine Science is an extremely broad field with so many interconnecting parts to make the whole. It is a mix of understanding physical, geological, chemical, political and so many more processes to get even an inkling of whats really going on in our oceans and other marine systems and how it all works. In this course we were presented a healthy amount of material on many of the "interconnecting" parts of Marine Science and have started to develop a real working knowledge of whats going on here in the various Florida ecosystems.

We visited The Florida Aquarium today in Tampa; the way the aquarium is set up is a lot like the itinerary of this course. When you start in the path at the aquarium, it starts with Florida's wetlands, plant communities, geological and coastal features as well as the critters that live there. We did the same at UWF in Pensacola, we started our study in the Black Water State Forest that forms the start of the water shed ecosystem. There are many rivers that cut through the forest which, after a short distance, meet the bay/ocean. We learned about the plant communities and how they're able to thrive in their specific environments, problems with species management in the coastal nesting bird communities, coastal features such as dunes (how they're formed and why they're important) and compared different ecosystem species diversity. We also spent a day in Perdido Bay determining estuarine gradients as well as other sampling. We were able to get a good feel for what was going on in the Bay at that time and develop an understanding of estuaries in general. It was neat to literally follow the water from the forests to the Bay and the surrounding coast. It really emphasizes how all of these systems are interconnected and how something occurring inland could directly affect our estuaries and oceans.

OK, SHIFTING GEARS.......

I started the above part of this blog before truly thinking about how I wanted it to go. I was going to do another summary of our journey and what we learned at each school/station but that's not what this blog should be about; we've already done that. What I really want to talk about is what I've gained from this trip. I am walking away with more than a grade, more than the road trip, more than the actual experience; I'm walking away with an amazing insight to Florida's ecosystems from some of the best instructors Florida has, as well as some of the best new friends I could ever ask for. I've been on trips before where I'm tired of the company after a couple days but to be honest that did not happen on this trip. We were all there to work towards a common goal and it really brought us together. There was always so much encouragement, teamwork, helping hands, support, concern and love. We all grew as individuals and many walked away with a much clearer understanding of what we want to make of our future. We also made so many connections all over the state with the best instructors. It's so inspirational to literally be in the field with passionate experts. We usually say this when we're little, but we really look up to our instructors and aspire to be like them on day. I've learned so much from you all and I could never thank you all enough!

Cara- You are such a lovely soul. You are one of the most positive and joyful persons I've ever met. You are so curious and absorb stuff like a sponge, this will take you far in life! I know no matter what you do, you'll do it whole heartedly and do it well! Best of luck and I hope you do transfer to USFSP!

 Dana-  You laugh more than anyone I know and it's contagious! You bring joy to any situation and see the positive in everything. I think it's awesome you already know exactly what you want to do; I know you will pursue and achieve anything you set your mind to. You're a super smart cookie and will be successful no matter what!

Layna- You are an awesome person. I know we'll definitely find you in a field based career because of your love for outdoors. I think it's awesome you want to move to Hawaii and teach yoga and do scienceeee. I remember talking about it and you said to make it happen you just have to imagine yourself there, don't forget that, I can tell that's where your heart wants to go. Your love for adventure will take you far in life, I wish you the best of luck with everything and I still want you to teach me how to surf. :)

Tiffany- Oh Tiffany! Haha! You definitely get the award for the most joyful and entertaining person of the group! I really loved getting to know you all the laughs along the way. You are seriously the sweetest and caring person ever and I can't believe we never met on the USFSP campus before, man was I missing out. But I'm so glad we've become great friends and I know for a fact you can do anything you set your mind to.

 Danielle- I've really enjoyed getting to know you and learning all about your Jamaican culture and experiences. You're another one that loves adventure, although we'll never find you in a mangrove swamp! :o) Your energy and spontaneous personality is contagious! I'm so glad we go to know each other because we're on the same campus! So I know for a fact I'll see you soon. Best of luck with everything, you can do anything you set your mind to!

 Wally- If I had to describe you to someone that didn't know you I would say that you are one of those people that would literally give the shirt off your back. You've got on of the biggest hearts of anyone I know. You're always more than willing to help someone and often jump in to help without even being asked to. You are also an amazing cook and I appreciate all you meals! Thanks for everything, Wally.. You're the best!

 Breeze- Breeze, I'm going to miss you! I've never met anyone like you and I have learned so much from you. You are such an extremely intelligent person and anyone would be lucky to have you work for them. Good things happen to good people and I know your time IS coming! Thank you so much for your love and positive energy always! Breeze will save the world and you'll always be our mascot! :)

 Aaron- You are an awesome person! You've done some of the coolest stuff and aren't afraid to go for what you want. You're another one we can surly find in the field because of your love for nature and anything outdoors! You have great ideas and I really would like to go chase waves or sea creatures with ya, travel buddy. You're very bright and will go far! Best of luck and I hope to see you soon!

 Zack- My work buddy! You are one of those people that does their own thing and never worries what anything thinks. What an awesome characteristic to have. You are such are hard worker and a very smart cookie! You've got a big heard any would do anything for anyone and I really enjoyed getting to know you. You're another one that will save the world with your great ideas. You are awesome, keep in touch!  

 Heather- You are the sweetest thing ever! I really enjoyed getting to know you and hearing stories about your life especially your awesome grandma. You've got such a big heart and love everyone no matter what. You're so accepting and joy to be around. Don't ever change! See you soon, friend! :)

Destiny- I don't know what we would've done without Destiny. You were always so helpful in so many situations and ways. You were always on top of everything an made sure everything was completed and done right. You are very bright and always offered a great explanation if there was a question you could help with. You're super motivated and don't need luck because you will achieve anything you set your mind to. It was a pleasure getting to know you. :)

 Brock- Best TA ever! You were always there to help with a situation or question. I appreciate all the times you answered my questions about grad school or anything else! You were such a wealth of knowledge and it was great to always get a grad students view on something! Thanks for being a great momma duck and keeping our bellies full. We appreciate everything you did for us! Best of luck with everything!!

To all the instructors and everyone else that made this possible- I can't that you all enough for everything you've done. As I've said,
this has truly been the best experience ever and I'm walking away a better person than when I came. I would recommend this course to anyone and I'm so glad this was an option for me. THANK YOU, FIO!!!




1 comment: