Friday, June 6, 2014

Rock Hind

Common Name: Rock Hind
Scientific Name: Epinephelus adscensionis


Personal Description: This species had the large reddish-brown spots and black saddles on its back along with a white edge on its tail but it also had a lot of yellow on its fins especially the tail and even towards the face if you are able to see it the in light. I really felt they had a beautiful display of colors that are in my opinion surprisingly well suited to bled into the coral reef.
Why I found this species interesting:  I found this species interesting because I always like grouper and they are not found where I live. Also I love the colors and there ability to blend in.
What sites I saw this species: Cheeca Rocks, Alligator reef, and Looe Key.
Detailed Book Description: This is a member of the sea basses/grouper and can appear a tan to olive brown, covered with many large dark reddish brown spots that are larger closer to the belly. They have two large, rectangular saddles on the back that can appear to be blackish or brown. One saddle is located in below the middle dorsal fin, and the other is located on the caudal peduncle. Some can have additional saddles below spin and soft parts of dorsal fin. Both the caudal fin and anal fin can have a broad whitish outer edge.
Size: Up to 60cm (2ft).
Habitat based on my observation: I found that Rock Hinds tend to be under ledges or rocky outcroppings or holes in the corals similar to many grouper species.

(Ref. Atlantic Coast Fishes, Robins/Ray/Douglass 1986).  

No comments:

Post a Comment